2021 NRJE ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON JEWISH EDUCATION
Sunday, May 2; Thursday, May 6; Thursday, May 13; and Thursday, May 20, 2021
12:00pm – 3:00pm EST
Conference Chair: Ilana Horwitz
Registration (opening soon):
- University or College Faculty Registration: $118
- Graduate Student, Retiree, Congregational or Day School Educators, and Independent Scholars: $36
The Network for Research in Jewish Education (NRJE) is sponsoring its annual research conference on Jewish education. It will be held virtually this year. The conference features papers, panels, and discussions across the full range of issues in Jewish education, addressed through the full range of research disciplines, frameworks, and methodologies in education and social science. The program includes matters of particular interest to Jewish education scholars, practitioners, policymakers and philanthropists.
Presentation formats: The annual conference will include paper sessions, roundtable sessions, plenaries, professional development sessions, and opportunities to have office hours with senior faculty in the field.
- Paper sessions will feature three papers, ideally with a discussant. Each presenter will have 12-15 minutes to present. We strongly prefer pre-formed paper sessions. Individual paper proposals will be built into sessions by the program chairs.
- Roundtable sessions feature 3-4 people who will discuss a topic with a facilitator. Roundtables must be pre-formed prior to submission. You can use the NRJE list serve if you are looking for people to form a paper session or roundtable. We encourage sessions that bring together researchers and practitioners, sessions that include junior and senior scholars, and sessions with gender diversity.
- Plenaries will feature leading scholars of Education and Jewish Studies, speaking about pressing issues in our field.
- Professional Development sessions will draw on NRJE expertise to provide practical and actionable instruction grounded in research.
- Office hours will be arranged in collaboration with the faculty members, and the details for scheduling will be announced closer to the date of the conference.
Submission information: We encourage you to submit proposals for one of two types of sessions: 1) paper sessions or 2) roundtables. Please submit your proposal by January 29, 2021 at 11:59 pm PST.
The Conference committee will send out decisions about submissions by February 19, 2021. Please submit one form for each preformed paper session or roundtable. For preformed paper session proposals, you will need to provide an abstract of the session (up to 350 words), along with individual abstracts for each of the papers (up to 350 words per paper). For individual paper session proposals, you will need to provide an abstract describing your paper (up to 500 words). For roundtable proposals, you will need to provide an abstract describing the roundtable (up to 500 words). To maximize the number of voices, a person can only be part of two proposals (e.g., once as a presenter and once as a roundtable participant)